If you're anything like me, one thing I really miss is my morning bucket of latte with a delicious blueberry muffin on the side. Anyone else? Can't be just me, surely. Back in the day when I was a slave to the corporate world, this was my go to breakfast on the run.
Of course, with a combined calorific value of nearly 600 KCals I wasn't really starting my day the right way. That's without thinking about the sugar and unhealthy fats in both too.
I don't believe in depriving myself, nor starving myself - the reality is that will only lead to a massive binge. For those of you who follow my page, you will know that I'm all about finding healthy alternatives to my favourite snacks. This recipe is a fantastic take on a blueberry muffin, but with significantly less calories, unhealthy fats and sugar than it's coffee shop cousin.
210g of white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
80g coconut oil (melted)
2 large eggs (room temperature)
285g greek yoghurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
120g fresh blueberries
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp raw sugar for sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and pop 12 muffin cases in to a muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Reserve 1 tsp of flour.
- In another bowl, mix the honey and oil and beat together with a whisk.
- Add the eggs and beat well
- Add the yoghurt and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined. A few lumps don't matter!
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries in your reserved flour until well coated. This stops them from sinking and the colour from bleeding too much.
- Gently fold the blueberries and lemon zest into the batter. It'll be a thick mixture - don't worry!
- Divide into the cases and sprinkle with the sugar
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean and they're golden on top
- Leave to cool and enjoy!
These will keep at room temperature for a couple of days, fridge up to 5 and freezer for 3 months.
6g Fat (good fats!!!!)