One thing I do love is mayonnaise! With everything... Salads, dressings, sandwiches, burgers. You name it. I've tried your low fat alternatives and they're OK, but to be honest, I'd rather the full fat stuff!
However, given it's a processed food, full of unhealthy fats and stuffed full of preservatives to give it shelf life it isn't the best choice out there. It's nutritional values aren't brilliant for natural, healthy derivatives. So, how do we replace what is one of my favorite things for something a little more natural, and a healthier more nutritional option? Hmmm.
Avocados. That's how. Like olives, avocados are particularly rich in monounsaturated fat. Monounsaturated fat is a heart-healthy fat, thought to reduce inflammation, and you can find it in abundant quantities in olive oil, hazelnut oil and sunflower seed oil as well as in avocados.
Avocados are also sodium free, packed full of nutrients and vitamins like fibre, folate, vitamin C, K and B6. Winning.
So, how do we make this little belter then?
2 duck egg yolks or 3 chicken egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground sea salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 cups avocado oil
1. Drop the egg yolks into the basin of your food processor, then sprinkle them with salt. Spoon in the lemon juice and water.
2. Close the food processor and pulse it once or twice to combine, and then turn it on so that the blade continues moving smoothly.
3. Working a half cup at a time, pour the avocado oil into the feeder tube of the food processor, allowing it to drip into the egg yolks in a very thin, smooth stream until the mayonnaise thickens and all the oil is incorporated into the egg yolks, about two or three minutes.
4. Scrape the mayonnaise into a sterilised jar with a tight-fitting lid and store it in the refrigerator no longer than a week.
If you need more convincing still to try it, how about these 2 little facts:
- This mayonnaise has around 50% less calories gram for gram to normal mayo.
- This mayonnaise has around 30-50% LESS saturated fats than normal mayo.
So, what are you waiting for????